Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I don't wish to scare anybody, but I want to let you know that I and my teammates experienced a scary moment a little while ago.

I'm not going to say where it hit, or whether it was a mortar, a rocket, small arms, or what, but suffice it to say I was in a port-a-potty with my pants down when I heard enemy munitions incoming. It was very loud, and it was fast, and it got louder and louder as it approached, and the explosion when it impacted was even louder and shook my perch. IT FLEW RIGHT OVER MY HEAD. As soon as I heard it, I squated down into the fetal position, pants down, hands shielding my head, and waited to be blown to smitherines. God spared me, and my teammates, but there were injuries in the impact area. I don't know the extent.

After it hit, I zipped up and ran outside. I immediately saw the smoke rising from the impact area some 200 meters away from my location. Just after that, I heard the incoming alarm sound. That is the first time I have actually entered the duck-and-cover shelter at the sound of the incoming alarm. Things like this usually come in twos or threes. Luckily, it was a single. I hope we got the bastards; I'm sure we did. We went to see the damage and were told about the injuries. Fire and ambulance crews were at the scene. That's all I want to say about it.

UPDATE: Since it is in the news, I can admit that the attack happened Sept 11, and one civilian was killed. We also saw them working on the many wounded. Here are some of the links that are carrying the story (they all are the same, so if you've read one, you've read them all).:

Attack Kills 1 at U.S. Base Near Baghdad
1 killed, 11 wounded in attack on major U.S. base in Baghdad
Attack kills 1 at U.S. base near Baghdad
Attack Kills 1 at U.S. Base Near Baghdad

One of the girls in my tent had a bandaged arm as a result of the attack, but she is ok.

1 Comments:

Blogger David and Maureen said...

I am so happy you are okay, hunnie. In the damn porta pottie too! Stay safe.

Maureen

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home