Monday, October 01, 2007

RIDICULOUS THINGS NANCY WANTS, INSTALLMENT TWO:
One of my favorite animals in the world is the camel, one-hump or two. Doesn't matter to me.
I mean, seriously. How CUTE are they? My love affair with the camel began, I think, back in 1998, when I was a Marine visiting Dubai. My friends and I went on a 4x4 trip into the desert, and then we went to a sort of caravan feast thingy, and there were camels there. They just looked so cute and pathetic, and I felt so sorry for them and their miserable lives. They are definitely well adapted to their dry, sandy desert lives, but they still look sad to be there. Their noses can close to keep sand out, and their long, beautiful eyelashes serve the same purpose. They have those big, cute, clumsy feet that spread out like snowshoes to keep them buoyant in the sand, and their knobby knees are just too cute. I love them, and I want one. I don't feel like this is too outrageous of a want, because people in SoCal do keep camels, llamas, and alpacas. The alpaca, by the way, is another ridiculous thing Nancy wants...



This camel is in Australia. They were brought over by settlers, and now they are wild and spread across the outback in thousands. We saw many of them, dead and alive, during my Drive Around the World expedition, when we drove across Australia on the Gunbarrel Highway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home