Thursday, October 11, 2007

This is the second photo I took with Bret Michaels. The first one wasn't great, so he insisted on another. He was awesome. His handlers were trying to get him to knock off signing autographs to go do some other gig he was scheduled for, but he wouldn't leave until every last person got their hat, guitar, paper, reflective belt, t-shirt, poster, orders, or whatever other crazy thing they could scrounge up signed by the legendary rocker.

The Camp Stryker crowd rocking out with former Poison front man Bret Michaels.

Sunday night, Melissa, Dan and I decided to drive over to Camp Stryker to see Bret Michaels of Poison perform. Admittedly, the main reason we went was to witness what we suspected would be a full-on train wreck. None of us knew a lot about Bret Michaels (no slam against him; we just aren’t very savvy), so we figured he was probably some old has-been who couldn’t find any gigs better than the Iraq Tour 2007. I guess we just didn’t expect a good solo guy who used to sing for a #1 American metal band to bother to come and play for us.

Well, I have to publicly apologize, from the depths (the very cockles, actually) of my heart, to Mr. Bret Michaels. I am adding him to my list of honored celebrities who are great Americans and worthy of praise and patronage. Not only did he put on a thoroughly kick-ass concert, but he stayed afterward (for, like, well over an hour) to sign all of the ridiculous items soldiers thrust at him, and to take picture after picture with cammie-clad fans. I, for one, was NOT cammie-clad, and yet he made it a point to get a good photo with me—and he even complimented my “kick-ass” KISS t-shirt. Thanks, Bret! I am so sorry I mentally dissed you pre-performance.

We had an awesome time rocking out with the Camp Stryker crowd. They looked and sounded awesome. Bret’s solo band is very, very good, and they were sweet and accommodating to signature/photo-hungry fans, too. They played all the hits, plus some new ones, and they even played some KISS. I guess Bret’s guitarist is a huge fan, because he sang, “I wanna rock and roll all night, and party every day.” It was awesome, especially since I was in my KISS shirt. After the concert, I was minding my own business, and some soldiers tapped me on the shoulder and directed my attention to the guitarist, who was trying to compliment me on the shirt. Haha.

We all had a total blast at the concert, and I was still sort of in awe of how cool those guys were the next morning when I went to work. Bret signed a copy of my orders, which I intend to put in a protective sleeve as soon as I can find one. J

Thanks again for coming all the way out to Iraq to rock the Coalition Forces! We love you for that.

A portion of "Every Rose."

Melissa and Bret Michaels.

4 Comments:

Blogger weaser said...

Dude! Totally jellin' right now!! Bret Michaels rocks;)...I have been watching that 'Rock of Love' show...yeah yeah I know...but I was drawn to it like trailer trash is drawn to chilimac. Hey, glad you guys are safe...ya'll are definitely in my prayers...or whatever it is that I do:)

Thursday, October 11, 2007 10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Duuuuuude. I KNOW! He totally kicks A. And I thank you for fessing up to your guilty pleasure, right here on my bog, to all my 11 readers. I hope it will make you feel better (comfort in numbers and everything) to know that, if I had access, I would TOTALLY be watching "Rock of Love." I saw part of an episode while waiting to "deploy", and I was drawn to it like, um, like how we were drawn to bologna sandwiches for about 3 weeks straight...or something. Thanks for the prayers.
Heart, Nanc

Thursday, October 11, 2007 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure just about the 11 viewers that the gal above me is talking about...

I stumbled on your page by goggle'ing "bret michaels" and was intrigued by your blog about him.

Just wanted to say hi.

Melissa from Kansas City, MO

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:19:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Melissa! Thanks for stopping by. The 11 listeners was my feeble attempt at a joke. I figure I have at least 11 people reading my blog...maybe more...

Anyway, I'm glad you read about Brett Michaels. He will forever be one of my heros for toing all the way out to Iraq and playing his heart out for the troops. His bandmates were great, too. The guy has a huge heart, and he's a great American.

Take it easy in KO!

Nancy (in San Diego, now)

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home