Thursday, February 09, 2006


Ohmigosh. Cutest thing I've ever seen. I MUST HAVE HER.
Lately, I have become obsessed with the idea of having a pet. My tent is just down the way from a block of tents belonging to the Army's dog handlers, so I often see soldiers out walking their canine corporals, or whatever rank the Army pooches are assigned. I have to admit it fills me with longing for my own dog, or any kind of pet for that matter. Nobody is allowed to adopt pets here, of course, for health reasons, though I know that probably doesn't stop most enterprising young soldiers and Marines from trying.

The other morning, as I wistfully watched a handler and his partner stroll down the sidewalk, I began to fantasize about pet possibilities. I recently told you about a guard goose (buta in Arabic) that has made his home in front of the palace. Well, he is still hanging out there, and I talk to him every time I pass on my way in or out during the day. I have started to fantasize about building him a little goose house and relocating him to my tent area so he can be my little pet. I don't think he likes the weather and his lack of protection from the elements. If I built him a house and provided him with a sardine bribe, perhaps he would be willing to be my personal guard goose. I should probably think about it some more...

Other pets I have considered are fish (but then I would have a bowl to clean, and every fish I've ever owned has croaked, and where in the heck would I buy a small fish around here, anyway?), and mice (very hard to catch). I think I'll just have to suck it up until I return home from Iraq and get a place to live out in California.

Recently, I have become obsessed with the idea of getting a Labradoodle, or a cross between a Labrador retriever and a standard poodle. I grew up with labs, and I think they are awesome, but I don't love the idea of having to deal with their incessant shedding. Labradoodles, because they are at least half poodle, do not necessarily shed as much. Anyway, even if they do shed, they are so smart and trainable and loveable that I can hardly stand not having one to cuddle right this instant!

And that is your up-to-date account of my most recent obsession.

OK. Seriously. How CUTE are THEY!?

1 Comments:

Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

If you can't keep fish alive, I'm not sure you should move on to bigger pets ;)

Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home