Saturday, October 27, 2007

Our kill board yesterday.

Our kill board today.

Boredom isn’t good for flies.

We open our office door during the (relatively) cool morning and evening hours. That means we are likely to have any number of guests, wanted and unwanted, poking their noses in. Mostly it’s just harmless “hellos” and “how ya doin’s” from neighboring trailer dwellers. But sometimes, it’s flies.

The flies drive us insane. Apparently, we are not the only ones afflicted by the little beasties, because the PX recently started stocking fly swatters. Now, each one of us has one in our little four-man trailer.

It started out innocently enough…a dead fly here, a dead fly there. But then it progressed. Soon, we were in full competition, with myself and Dan (the Danimator) going head-to-head. Now it is one of our best forms of entertainment.

When one of us would make a kill, the other would ask for proof. The body would have to be recovered and placed on the padded envelope covering the small trashcan in the corner by Dan’s desk. Fly corpses began piling up like tiny little horror film props. Pretty soon, we developed a sort of battle rhythm, and “No guts, no glory” became our mantra.

As soon as a fly is detected, swatters are taken up. The fiercest of competitors hold still and say a silent prayer that the minute, pesky flying enemy will land on their desk, or their computer, or their knee or arm. They are much easier to kill when they land on something. Eventually, the little bugger holds still for too long, and, THWACK! Shouts of joy ring out from the victorious warrior, while the other players demand, “No guts, no glory.”

If the body can’t be found, or if no trace of guts can be presented, no kill. Today, I eviscerated one and then accidentally smeared it into the fibers of our dusty carpet. Luckily, I had enough of his tiny little abdomen on the swatter to prove I’d made a kill.

We have a kill board, and as gross as it is, we won’t take it down. We’re oddly proud of it. We tape our flies to the wall with each kill, and lost or decimated deaths are annotated with a little drawing of a fly.

Dan was winning for a few days, but I caught back up today. He says it’s because he has more work to do, keeping him busy. I say he just isn’t trying. Yes, I will get up from my desk to invade another’s battle space, but I am a competitive little vixen, and I will get my fly. I will win. Oh, yes, I will win. No little 25-year-old civilian , cutie (that's you, Dan) is going to best this former Marine…MUWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA……

9 Comments:

Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Just so no one thinks I'm letting the two of you off easy, I'm just sitting back, observing the best tactics and waiting for ya'll to start getting a little complacent then i will strike back with a vengence!!!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:31:00 PM  
Blogger weaser said...

Srsly....how can I be jealous of a fly killing competition....and yet there it is...I am. *sigh*
Hope to see your kill # go up soon CT! Miss ya'll.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want some fireworks and sound effects to go along with the slaughter, they make an electronic fly swatter that's like a mobile bug zapper. It's shaped like a tennis racket and battery powered; swing, contact, **POP!!** http://www.electricflyswatter.net/

Just found your blog and enjoy what you're writing. Thanks for what you're doing, and stay safe.

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:37:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

CT, you scare me!

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Srsly, Kristy, don't be jealous. But I totally know what you mean. You're still my beeyotch. We miss you!

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:55:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Lou, that's awesome! Actually, they do have those available here at the Hadji market, and if I weren't leaving soon, I'd buy one! Thanks for the tip, and thanks for reading. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog!

Nancy

Monday, October 29, 2007 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger weaser said...

Oh I had lots of fun with those the first time I was over there....always hours of enjoyment leaving it charged and waiting for some unexpectant victim to come by and get Zapped!
Miss you too dawg;)

Monday, October 29, 2007 4:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then there was the time in basic training in Ft. Sill...a lighter and a little can of Binaca (do they still make that stuff?), sitting in the smoking pit...fly lands, lighter and a Binaca Blast...WOOF! No more fly legs...or wings...just crispy...Drill Sergeant even got a kick out of it.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Lou,
I vaguely remember my friends doing that with Binaca. I can't pinpoint when that was, but it's possible it was at The Basic School. Boys. I don't know if they still make that or not...I remember I loved that stuff as a kid.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 1:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home