Thursday, October 18, 2007

I have skinny feet. That is a fact. There is no disputing it. When I was a kid, I was known as "Gun boats," "Snow skis," and any number of "Big Foot-esque" names. When I was in the seventh grade, I wanted to buy leather shoes known as Sebagos, so as to be hip and cool like the other kids. I'll never forget those shoes, because when we went to buy them, the saleslady looked at my gun boats and actually laughed out loud at their length/narrowness. Thankfully, at nearly 5'9", I have almost grown into my size 10 footsies.

But right now, my long, skinny feet are killing me. I don't know what it is, but I've been having pains for the last week, almost. It started with a searing pain in my left ankle, on the inside. It's not the sort of pain that would usually force me to take time off from running, but it's the sort that will provide a handy excuse if needed. But yesterday, I started getting sharp pains in my right foot, sort of on top, near the inside, where my ankle joins my foot. I'm not at all sure what's causing it.

The pain isn't entirely new. In fact, I have had the same pain, but only in occasional bursts, for a year or two. But right now, the difference is that it keeps occurring. Sharp pains when I push off with my foot. So sharp, in fact, that I usually excrete [sic] some sort of noise, and reflex causes me to flinch such that I nearly fall over. The problem is, I don't know if this means I need to stop running for a spell. It doesn't actually hurt while I am running. It just hurts afterward, and only when I have been sitting and then stand up to move.

I honestly believe this all started from snowboarding. Often, when going heel-side to brake, I have sort of jammed my ankles. That jamming of the ankles, I believe, is what jumpstarted my pain. The reason I believe that is because the pain I get now is the same as I would have if I were stopping on a snowboard and hit a bump, thereby jamming my ankles. The trouble is, it is the gentlest movements which cause the excruciating pain. For example, if I am climbing steps, and I put just the very front of my foot on the step, with the rest hanging off, and then I put weight on that foot to step up, I would probably end up screaming and then writhing in pain.

Melissa thinks I should have it checked out. I think they'll tell me to take it easy and pop some Motrin. I also think lack of proper nutrition might be part of the problem. For that reason, I will forgo a visit with the doctor, and I just bought a pack of multivitamins at the PX. I'll give it a few days without curbing my running. If the pain continues, I'll continue the vitamins and stop the running. If anybody has any suggestions, feel free to send them to me via the comments thingy.

I'll let you know how it goes.

On a more positive note, the weather here has been FABULOUS for the past two days. The max has been in the 80's today and yesterday, and it was a blustery 70 F on my way to work this morning. I was chilled. This evening, it must've been in the 60's, because I was nearly shivering. Gotta love it. Unfortunately, I think the temperature is supposed to heat back up starting tomorrow (Friday). Bummer.

3 Comments:

Blogger David and Maureen said...

My size 10/11 feet killed me in Iraq and after. Sharp pains that made me limp to the latrine at night. I went to the podiatrist at the VA and they made me some orthotics for my running shoes. They got me through the 40 mile Avon Walk with nary a pain or blister.

In the meantime, I would buy the most expensive inserts you can get at the PX or order some from the web. Sorry about your sore feet. :(
xoxo
Maureen

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:08:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Maureeeeeen! Did you have plantar's faciitis? I can't remember. I had that for most of my college career, because of running, but I never get it anymore. That's a miserable one, since it hurts as soon as you get out of bed. This is more sporadic. Just happens suddenly, and at weird times. Well, the right foot (ankle) is sporadic, anyway. The right ankle hurts all the time. But not bad. Inserts is a good idea. Thanks, sister.

XOXO
Nanc

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:46:00 AM  
Blogger David and Maureen said...

I did have plantar fascitis as well as what my podiatrist thought was some nerve inflammation which was causing my sharp pains in addition to the PF. My big toe will always be numb, but most of the pain has gone away.

Glad it's getting cooler - keep your head down and be safe! :)

xoxo
Maureen

Friday, October 19, 2007 11:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home