Thursday, October 25, 2007

The sun sets on another day...time to put in a DVD.


Well, I have been a baaaad blogger. I blame Shane. ;) Why? Because, he loaned me his box set of Roswell, and I got hooked on it until I'd finished all three seasons. And then, he forced me to accompany him to the Hadji mart Saturday, where I ended up with another box set that he wouldn't shut his pie hole about and that he encouraged me to buy. He tricked me. I was weak, because I was missing my Roswell characters.

That's one of the things we do over here for fun, in case you were wondering: we feverishly watch as many bootleg DVD movies and TV shows as we can, often becoming slaves to our laptops/DVD players. On Saturdays, you will find us, the real bootleg junkies, meticulously picking through table after table of box sets, music videos, and movies at the Black Hawk. Hadji knows we are slaves to his bootlegs, so he charges us $3 per movie, even though the going rate out on the 'ville is less than a buck.

We don't even care that most of the copies we buy are of the poorest picture and sound quality possible, and that some won't play at all. My first copy of The Bourne Ultimatum actually showed an exit sign and several heads blocking the view, like Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I say "first copy," because I had to buy a new one (Copy 2 was immaculate) when the original quit working about 15 min before the final curtain. But that is the price we are willing to pay. It's a gamble, and we know it. "Damn the torpedoes!" as they say.

I wasn't going to watch TV this time, honest I wasn't. I was going to read. And study Spanish. But I read all my books, including those I ordered on Amazon, and after about 3000 pages of fine print, I decided to turn to my first love, my vice of last year: the dreaded FOB "crack" known as the DVD. Oh, and I can always learn Spanish later...

So, after scarfing down Roswell and about 35 various movies, I went back to the Black Hawk for some more TV shows. TV is easier, you see, because it doesn't require the commitment that a movie does. It doesn't need 2 hours; it just needs 30 min. Well, that is, unless you get sucked in. If that happens, Lord have mercy on your soul. You will find yourself up into the wee hours every night, sneaking episodes during every free moment you have during the day, and even, yes, that's right, even replacing your blog time with TV time. That's right, I said it. I have a problem, and admitting it is the first step to recovery.

The only problem is, I can't commit to any 12-step recovery programs until I finish watching the TV series I bought during that regrettable recent trip to the Black Hawk. Dave is a Lost junkie, but I had never seen a single episode, and that always made it impossible for us to watch it together at home. He has also been telling me about how much he loves the series called Rome, and how he watched the first two seasons during his deployment. Unable to choose between the two, I bought both.

At present, I am 100% obsessed, a slave to Lost. For the past few days, I have neglected everything I can think to neglect, just to be able to find out what in the HELL is on that ISLAND!!!! A plane falls out of the sky from 30,000 ft, and 49 survive??? And they are not alone on the "deserted" island? I must know what happens to them. I mean, what is that THING???

I just finished Season One, and it is all I can do to sit here and type, knowing full well that adventures, surprises, horror, romance, tenderness, discovery, and mystery abound within that shiny rainbow disc that is the wonderful world of DVD.

I promise to peel myself away for a few moments each day in order to tell you about the other things we have been doing for fun here. And I'll update you a little bit on incoming, and work, and homecoming. I've loads to tell you...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see another post from you, because I'm basically using you as my "thermometer" of what's going on over there and what I should expect. So now I learn that I need to start watching DVD's! ;-) I watch precious little TV now, and far fewer movies, so I guess that'll be quite a change for me.

Hey and BTW, if you keep posting tips and info that end up easing my transition, I'll teach you Spanish. ;-) I just need to get through a year as easily/quickly as possible so I can get back to my kids!

Cheers, and stay safe.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 2:59:00 PM  
Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

my evil plan is working...wait...ok...i'm busted...i have no evil plan except maybe to borrow all your movies and TV series after you are done =)

Friday, October 26, 2007 5:35:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Mike! Glad you didn't give up on me after my silence.

Yes, the DVDs help. As far as your transition goes, it's all easy, except for the missing your family part. I'm going to do a special "Preparing for Iraq" section for you, but here are a couple of quick ones: Don't bother doing the computer stuff before going to CRC. You might receive word from your company that you should do some modules, print the certificates, and bring them to CRC. Don't bother. Do them there; it's faster, easier, and you won't have anything better to do..such as play with your kids. Also, unless you are a lucky one whose company either pays for trailers or hordes them for employees who haven't arrived yet, start gearing up for crap living conditions. The waiting list for a trailer (for men) is 6-8 months, and the tents are 30-man contraptions with bunkbeds and loud, disrespectful, snory, messy people. Just get your mind ready for that, and you'll be fine.

More to follow.

Cheers to you.

Friday, October 26, 2007 5:45:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi, CT. Hahaha. Yes, you are evil. But you are still not as evil as Mel--err, ME, but good try. Now...back to LOST!!!

Friday, October 26, 2007 5:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, 30 per tent! I was thinking that 10 per (in a couple of your previous posts) was bad enough... Well, I've already been told to expect a wait before getting a trailer, but I have no idea if my company hordes them.
I'm definitely looking forward to your future installment about preparing!
BTW, I was going to begin doing the computer stuff today, but I guess I'll skip it. ;-

Friday, October 26, 2007 8:32:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Glad you didn't do the computer stuff. It is a huge waste of time! And 30 per is for boys; 10 or 12 for gals. Sorry about that. There's just more of you...and 30 chicks in a tent would be worse than mortar attacks.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home