Thursday, November 15, 2007


My boat and oar. I don't have a name for her, yet.

Layer one. I put one more layer on top to make the boat more bouyant.
Das boat is done.

I have had enormous issues with my internet. Once the problem was fixed in my trailer, my computer basically "pooped the bed." It took a while to recover. Since then, we have been handed a stricter blogging policy (a company-specific thing, not an MNC-I thing), and I sort of lost interest in blogging, altogether.
I feel bad about leaving everybody in the dark, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's hard to blog when you don't feel like it. I haven't felt like it. I still don't feel like it. I'll do it anyway.

I wanted to update you on the boat-building competition:

Dan and I finished our boats yesterday, and we built our oars today. We are both extremely pleased with our results. We're going to have a team party Saturday, and that is when we will launch the boats for the first time. I hope we don't get wet. I've begged Dan to add one or two more pontoons to his boat for balance/buoyancy, but he's happy with what he has. His boat is quie impressive, made entirely of bottles and tape. Go, Dan!!! Mine is made of sandbats, 550 cord, and bottles. I'm not sure I have enough surface area to keep my butt dry, but I will pray I do. Haha. It will be fun, and we'll bring a change of clothes, just in case.

My Boat Statistics:

25 sand bags
240 water bottles
55" x 41" x 13"
oar = 8'
150' of 550 cord



To make the oar end, I butterflied two water bottles, sewed them together, and then sewed them onto a piece of wood. The tape reinforces the holes I had to cut for the cord.


Here's the end, lashed to the wood. And this is a water bottle, wrapped around the wood for a padded handle.

Dan, taping his bottles together. His boat is cool. It's very symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing.

He's a tall guy...and that's a small boat...


Two rafts, in a head-to-head competition.

6 Comments:

Blogger Papi said...

I'm definitely sorry to hear that you're motivation to blog is down. I've used you and Cajun Tiger to prepare for my deployment at the end of this month, and I appreciate having been able to peek in on your guys' lives in Iraq. It really has helped me out a lot, and I plan to do what I can in the coming year to make it easier on others. I linked to your blog (and Cajun Tiger's) from mine, so I hope that's okay...

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Mike. Thanks! I'll try to muster some more motivation in the coming days. It helps having my internet back up, and having interesting activities to talk about is also helpful. Thanks for linking me. I appreciate it!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Cajun Tiger said...

Definitely looking forward to Saturday that I'll even come in earlier despite it being my night duty day =)

Mike...sorry i haven't posted many Iraq deployment type post lately, but as I'm sure you have noticed my blog is mostly political. I'll post more soon though on the weather and definitely on the competition this Saturday =)

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:17:00 PM  
Blogger Papi said...

I look forward to all of the posts you guys write. I'm beginning CRC tomorrow morning, so most of my prep for deployment is done. Tips from here on out are always welcome, though! ;-)

Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:12:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

CT, we will make it worth your while. I'm pretty sure we are both going to get wet. And it is soooo cold! It should be plenty entertaining for everybody.

Saturday, November 17, 2007 2:57:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Mike, good luck to you at CRC. Actually, you don't need luck; you need patience...and a sense of humor... No worries. You are former military, so you are accustomed to hurry up and wait. Safe travels...

Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home